Transportation from the Airport
There are three major airports serving the Washington, DC metro area. The most convenient in terms of ease of ground transportation is Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) because it is served directly by the Metro (elevated/subway train). From DCA allow 1-hour by Metro to get to the Hyatt Regency Bethesda or the NIH campus. Note: the Metro runs until about midnight most nights so if you arrive later for some reason you will have to take a cab to the hotel.
From Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA) to the Hyatt Regency Bethesda or NIH:
- Follow the M (Metro signs) in the airport to the Metro (Subway) station
- Take the Yellow Line (toward Mt. Vernon Sq/Convention Center) and transfer to the Red line (toward Grosvernor or Shady Grove) at Gallery Place/Chinatown
- Take the Blue Line (toward Largo Town Center) and transfer to the Red Line (toward Grosvernor or Shady Grove) at Metro Center or Gallery Place/Chinatown
- Exit the Red Line at the Bethesda Station and the Hyatt is right at the station exit
- To get to NIH stay on the Red Line one more stop and exit at Medical Center which is the entry point to NIH
From Dulles International Airport (IAD), there are several options to get to the Hyatt Regency Bethesda or NIH. Allow at least 90-minutes for travel.
- Washington Flyer Coach service to the West Falls Church Metro Stop (every 30 minutes) – take the Orange Line toward New Carrolton and transfer to the Red Line at Metro Center and follow the directions as listed for the Red Line from DCA
- Super Shuttle (~$25 one way) – just tell the scheduler you are going to the Hyatt Regency, Bethesda
- Washington Flyer Taxi (~$50 one way) – the last resort due to the cost but a good choice if you arrive late at night
From Baltimore Washington International Airport (BWI), the options for getting from BWI to the Hyatt Regency Bethesda or NIH include:
- Super Shuttle (~$30 one way)
- Washington MTA bus (every 40 minutes) to the Greenbelt Metro stop – take the Green Line and transfer to the Red Line at Gallery Place/Chinatown, and follow the directions as listed for the Red Line from DCA. The whole trip would take about 1.5-2 hours depending on connections.
- Airport Taxis (~$65 one way) – the last resort due to cost but if you come in late at night use this
Getting to the NIH campus
Hyatt Regency Bethesda | 1 Bethesda Metro Center, Bethesda, MD 20814
From the Hyatt at the Bethesda Metro station, take the metro ONE (1) stop in the direction of Grosvenor or Shady Grove. Get off at the next stop: Medical Center station.
If driving, head south on Wisconsin Ave towards Montgomery Lane.
If walking, it is about 1.1 miles along Wisconsin Avenue.
EVEN Hotel Rockville | 1775 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852
From the EVEN Hotel Rockville, walk to the Twinbrook Metro Station and take the metro THREE (3) stops towards Silver Spring or Glenmont.
Getting to the NIH Gateway Center
The NIH Gateway Center is located adjacent to the Medical Center Metro Station at the South Drive entrance to campus from Rockville Pike / Wisconsin Avenue (Route 355). It combines visitor parking, non-commercial vehicle inspection and visitor ID processing, all in one location. The NIH will process all visitors in vehicles or as pedestrians.
Please note, visitor parking is limited at NIH. Visitors are encouraged to use public transportation such as the Metrorail subway system which has a convenient stop (Medical Center) on the NIH campus. Visit the Metro site for information on fares and schedules. Short-term, metered parking and long term, attendant-controlled parking are available to visitors at a cost of $2 per hour for the first three hours or $12 per day. Click here for a visitor parking map.